When someone dies, what do I have to do?

When someone dies, contact us as soon as possible so that we can guide you through the next steps. If someone dies at home, in hospital or in the care of a nursing home, a doctor will need to be contacted so they can arrange a Medical Certificate of the cause of death.


In the event of a sudden death

An unexpected, sudden death is treated differently. A doctor or the police will be required to contact the Coroner to find out why and how the person died. In this situation, Rosedale will be able to explain the process to you, depending on the circumstances, and also keep you in touch with the Coroner.

A death away from home

If the person has died in another part of the the UK or in a foreign country, Rosedale can help you with all the practicalities such as arranging transport for their return home to Norfolk or Suffolk. Please see our repatriation page for more information.

Have they already paid for the funeral?

If you think the person might have a Rosedale Pre-paid Funeral Plan, we can check for you.  Similarly, you may be aware of any other preparations the person may have made in the event of their death.

All deaths have to be legally registered by the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths.

How to register a death